Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving farewells and Thanksgiving day with the Morton's!

As promised last time, I have some pictures courtesy of Vicky from the EWG and Sem wives end-year meetings. (Here is her site, if you would like to check out more of her photography... http://fieldsofprovidence.blogspot.com/

She even captured me sharing for both meetings, so you will feel like you were part of the action! :)
Here are Vicky and I with Brenda Frields, our EWG leader:


Here I am sharing about what the Galatians study meant to me: (Each table had someone share...)
We had a lunch together with all the other EWG groups and it was good to hear from different ladies about how the study has blessed them and also to spend time getting to know one another better.

Later that same day, we had our last Sem Wives meeting for the year. The theme was 'Fall' and here is a look at some of the tables: (The one in the foreground is ours...)
Here is one of Vicky and Rebecca: (Rebecca and her husband Aldo have become friends of ours too! They are originally from Virginia.)
 That evening, it was our table's turn to share the quick devotional passage and I got to do it. I read Psalm 63... (Thanks once again to Vicky for documenting the day so actively!)
Here's a snippet from what I read:
Psalm 63:1-4
"O God,you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands."

  
Our Thanksgiving break was only one week long and Izak had to work extra hours at the bookstore. During the break, he had an important research paper to write on 'God and time', 5 Books to finish reading and then also writing a brief review on each book, 2 sermon outlines and lots of Hebrew homework to do... So you can imagine that it was not a break at all, in fact, it was a busier time than normal! (At one point it just seemed like an impossible feat, but he has worked so hard flat out and it looks like he may have the majority handed in on time.) It is only by God's grace that he managed what he did... In fact, he is still working away as I write this!

We were invited to the Morton's for Thanksgiving dinner where Bryan and the Zekveld's would be too.

Here are some pictures from our first American Thanksgiving dinner: A picture of the table set:
Bryan carving the turkey:
 Izak relaxing:
 Vicky, Andrew and Bryan seated at the table: Such delicious food! Incredible turkey, sweet potato with pecan nuts, macaroni and cheese (ALWAYS a winner!), cranberry sauce, beans, rolls, salad... And for dessert- pumpkin pie and home-made cheese cake!

 Another reason to love America - these are all disposable: (Including the cutlery!)
Our hosts: (Jonathan and Meredith Morton)


We all had such great chats and the day had such a natural, relaxed feel. After the meal we played a complicated dice game that Bryan tried to teach us all and we were introduced to a game called 'Catch Phrase' (it's quite similar to 30 Seconds for the South Africans). It was one of those evenings when you are reluctant to go home and your tummy is a little sore from all the laughter and your heart is warmed.

We are busy house-sitting for the Stein's and I will post some pics of that soon. 

The house-sitting has been a pleasure! Who else gets to have 15 minute Jacuzzi study breaks while in seminary???

I am often amazed when I think about how good my life is. When I look back at where the Lord has brought me from in the past and the true hope I have today! I am so thankful. Woohoo! 

Keep in touch! We would love to hear your news.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome koekepawesum! or is it "awesome, cook a possum!"

    thanks for the update T. keep it Jesus. see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos and news! So good to be able to share in your lives this way. Is Jansie going to visit you? I want to hide in his luggage! love you lots and miss you as always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I look forward to Jansie arriving and his luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the nice pics and giving us a glimps of what you're up to. Miss you lots

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jansie will arrive IN someone's luggage rather!! Maybe today I'll get this right! You guys,I know Izak will lick all the hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! Seems like I finally got it right!!! Am I pleased with myself!!! Enjoy the rest of the week and keep up the hard (GOOD) work. Miss you lots n lots!!

    ReplyDelete